WEBINAR: Thursday 1 July 2021
Advice for the current times
An on-demand event jointly hosted by the NAHT and Discovery Education.
Andrew Hammond and Guy Dudley discussed the issues currently facing school leaders and those teaching and working in schools.
In this session, we covered:
- A review of the year – an ‘annus horribilis’
- Your ‘Summer Staycation Menu’
And finally, we took you on a whistle-stop tour of our latest newsletter, our sixth, that bridges the gap between these webinars and brings you up to date with the latest news and developments in the school and college sectors.
Many of these newsletter topics have been supported by wider advice pieces that can be found on Pathway’s Advice Hub where you will have access to an on-line library of information, advice and guidance to support you in your professional role and your continuing professional and personal development and empowerment.
If you’re a Pathway subscriber, you can access the latest Newsletter in the Pathway Advice Hub.
Reflections on the year just gone
In the lead up
- Boris Johnson elected Prime Minister on 12 December 2019
- Britain left the EU on 31 January 2020
- Uncertainty of what was of come in the media and reporting in general
- The WHO declared COVID-19 a global epidemic on 11 March 2020
- Schools closed on 20 March to all pupils bar some in certain categories – we were in ‘lockdown’ – adapting to new domestic, social and working arrangements
Autumn term 2020
- Pupils returned to school in most areas and in most categories
- Appraisal and pay arrangements were agreed
- Most school activity had to be adapted to match what were the prevailing circumstances at the time
- Flexible working and reasonable adjustments
- Home and flexi-schooling and remote learning
Spring term 2021
- Remote learning for all bar certain categories of children announced on 4 January
- Government announced, on 6 January, that all Ofqual examinations were to be cancelled in favour of teacher assessed grades
- Relaxing the introduction of RHSE into the curriculum
- Teacher workload
- Pupil (and parent) anxiety
Summer term 2021
- TAGs, Progress 8 etc…
- End of term / year issues – additional INSET day, pupils returning from overseas and sports days
- Wellbeing of all – school staff and pupils and students across the school and college sectors
If you would like further information about the Pathway programme please visit www.discoveryeducation.co.uk/NAHT